Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cernunnos - God of the Forest Assemblage Necklace

I found these amazing antique porcelain doll bodies, they are from ArtChix Studios. They are hollow, and perfect for assemblage work. This is my newest design using the last of my doll bodies. Back to ArtChix--I hope they have more!

I created Cernunnos, a mythical God of the Forest, Protector of the Hunt. I wanted this piece to be an example of wearable art--I designed it to be displayed when not being worn. It is also my first multi-functional piece. The headdress, created from feathers and silver-over-copper antlers set in a silver cone, is a removable pendant that can be worn alone. The sterling silver ball chain is attached and fits inside the doll body with ease. Around his neck are silk fibers and a "necklace" made from a gorgeous rubilite garnet and fine brass wire. I hand-made as much of the componants as possible--the sterling silver "branch" arms, the brass "branch" and copper leaves are all made by me. I also included a removable hand-made sterling silver antler ring attached below the doll body, held in place with a sterling silver "T" bar. A manufactured brass leaf accents here. The entire piece is connected to 18-inches of antiqued brass chain with a hammered brass "S" closure. I even made the bamboo stand for display.

So, you can wear this complete as a truly amazing statement piece, or separately for every day. I especially like the ring--it's adjustable and really fun to wear.

It was a labor of love to make this--I can't wait to wear it out!!!

No comments: