Friday, October 16, 2009

Eye Really Like This...

Those who know me understand my continual search for unusual and unique elements to incorporate into my jewelry designs. I love a new discovery, and would like to share one here.

A few months ago I stumbled across a website that really sparked my imagination and a new line of jewelry designs. Van Dykes Taxidermy Supply. Taxidermy supply??? Yes, taxidermy supply. Specifically, Van Dykes line of glass and acrylic animal eyes. These things are amazing! There are hundreds to choose from. Mammals, birds, exotics, reptiles, fish....you can spend the day browsing the selection. The eyes are calibrated too, so you can choose from sizes ranging from 6mm up to 30mm. Perfect for standard stamped bezels. Imagine the rings, earrings and pendants! These eyes are gorgeous, a great unusual element of design. The colors are intense, the construction flawless. Take a look at the site and let you imagination run wild!

I've posted here a few photos of some of the designs I've created using these eyes, including my newest and personal favorite--the mixed metal squid necklace. I call it "Calamari". I just got my latest order from Van Dykes...shark and sailfish eyes. Have no idea what I will do with them yet....but I'm working on it. I'll keep you posted....

The image below from left to right shows "Calamari" with a squid eye, "Crocodile Tears" with a croc' eye, "Woodsman" with a coyote eye and tooth, and "Crocodile Tears" ring with croc' eye.

No comments: